Take Control of Your Care
Consumer Directed Personal Assistance (CDPA) enables you to become an employer who selects and instructs your own Personal Assistant, giving you the power you need to have things done your way. As an Employer, you’ll have full control over:
No more eating meals at awkward times, going to bed earlier than you’d like or enduring unwelcome strangers in your home. You can have the help you need, when you need it. With our Peer Mentoring system, Recruitment Assistance and experienced and helpful staff, you’ll have someone there to guide you every step of the way.
The Resources You Need For Success
As a Fiscal Intermediary, CDChoices provides you with all the tools you need to succeed as an employer, including:
- A Peer Mentor to help you learn the ropes
- Peer Workshops
- Job Fairs
- Recruitment assistance through our RAIS system
- Payroll and program administration services
- The ability to provide your personal assistant with a competitive wage, health and dental benefits, paid time off, holiday differentials and more
To be eligible for CDChoice’s services, you must be:
- Eligible for Medicaid (including Long Term Care services)
- Eligible for home care services
- Capable of handling the recruiting, hiring, training, supervising and termination of a personal assistant
- Either a self-directing individual or a Designated Representative (see below)
A Consumer is considered self-directing if he or she:
- Has the desire and ability to make lifestyle choices
- Has the ability to organize the environment to implement those choices
- Has the capability to understand the consequences of those actions and willingness to take responsibility for them
A Designated Representative, meanwhile, is a legal guardian or responsible adult who is able to demonstrate to the local Department of Social Services or Managed Care Organization (MCO) that he or she is willing and able to assist the Consumer with the responsibilities involved in Consumer Directed Personal Assistance. For example, a parent of a child with disabilities, an adult child of a senior parent with dementia, or a trusted friend or neighbor could all work with CDPA as a Designated Representative.
Consumers also have the option of handling some of the tasks themselves, while allowing a Designated Representative to provide additional assistance when necessary.
How to Apply
To use CDPA you must have Medicaid. If you do not have Medicaid but think you may be eligible for Medicaid and CDPA, contact your county’s Department of Social Services (DSS).
If you already have Medicaid, applying for CDPA is a simple four step process:
- If you have Medicaid managed care, contact your Managed Care Organization (your health plan). If you do not have Medicaid managed care, contact your county’s Department of of Social Services (DSS).
- A Caseworker and/or Nurse will evaluate you to make sure you’re a good fit for the service. Be sure to mention any nursing tasks you’ll need, and tell your evaluators you want to work with CDC.
- The County or Managed Care Organization (not CDChoices) will decide your eligibility and the number of hours of care you can utilize each week. If they determine that you are eligible, they’ll send CDChoices a referral that includes your information.
- CDChoices will contact you to explain how the program works, the medicaid rules that need to be followed and what paperwork needs to be filled out before you can get started. CDChoices will also set you up with access to our resources, including a Peer Mentor and information on how to recruit, hire and train your Personal Assistant(s).
Don’t leave your care up to someone else. Call your county’s Department of Social Services or Managed Care Organization today, and tell them you want Consumer Directed Choices!
We know all this can be a bit confusing. Our team is always ready to help answer questions or point you in the right direction.
or call us at
- (518) 464-0810
- (518) 690-0690 (TTY/TTD)
An Organization Who Understands
When it comes to your care, you want to work with people who understand your needs and treat you with the respect you deserve.
CDChoices is a non-profit organization that was founded by people with disabilities. Our Board of Directors is a balanced group of program users, their family members, and other individuals dedicated to the Consumers’ right to manage their care.
With friendly staff members operating locally in the Greater Capital Region, we’re here to help you get the care you need.
Already A Consumer?
Access your RAIS account, program documents, and be sure to take advantage of our Peer Mentor Program.
Are you looking for employment? Have you created your profile yet? Make sure that your profile is online and up-to-date.